The Japanese Studies Scholarships are for undergraduate students who wish to pursue Japan-related studies. This program offers students an opportunity to study Japanese
language and culture for one year in Japan.
QUALIFICATIONS: (for 2011 Scholarship)
- AGE: Applicants must be born from April 2, 1981 to April 1, 1993.
- ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS:
1) Applicants must be current undergraduates enrolled in Japanese language or Japanese culture as either a major or as a minor. 2)
Applicants must be enrolled in a university outside Japan at the time that they travel to Japan, and must also return to a university in their home country immediately after their departure from Japan.
- LANGUAGE: Applicants must have sufficient Japanese language ability to receive education at Japanese universities in Japanese.
(March 1, 2011)
EXAMINATION AND INTERVIEW:
(March 30, 2011)
ARRIVAL IN JAPAN:
- ALLOWANCE: 125,000 yen per month for one year (based on 2010 figures).
- TRANSPORTATION: Grantees will be provided with an economy class air ticket to and from Japan.
- SCHOOL FEES: Entrance examination, matriculation and tuition fees at universities will be exempted.
- ACCOMMODATIONS: Grantees may reside at foreign student houses or residence halls of national universities. Those who are not able to find university housing will be required to live in private housing.
- MEDICAL TREATMENT: Students may receive subvention for part of the medical expenses in Japan.
- Although applicants may request a specific host institution in any of the above scholarships, official university assignments are made by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sport, Science & Technology. The Ministry's decision in this regard will be considered final.
- For inquiries or to request an application, please feel free to contact MEXT Coordinator,Terry Vo at (615) 340-4300 (x171) or send an e-mail. (Click here)