Spouse/Child of Japanese National
Spouse/Child of Japanese National - a legally married spouse or child of a Japanese national; does
not require a Certificate of Eligibility. Please submit the following documents:
- Valid passport properly signed by the bearer (original passport is necessary; please be sure your
passport has available visa pages)
- An application form No. 1-C, completely filled out and signed by the applicant
- 1 photograph (2 in. x 2 in.) of applicant; picture taken within six months of application attached to the
application form. NOTE: GLUE ONLY, please do not staple or tape.
- (For Spouse Visa) Document certifying spouse relationship (koseki tohon)
- Copy of marriage license
- (For Child Visa) Document certifying child relationship, such as a birth certificate or family registry
- (For Spouse Visa) Document certifying the profession and the income of the applicant or his/her
- (For Child Visa) Document certifying the profession and the income of the applicant's Japanese father
- Copy of parent’s/ spouse’s Japanese passport
- Letter of guarantee by a person living in Japan
- Letter of invitation by guarantor in Japan
- Guarantor's last year's tax statement (zeikin)
- Guarantor's work verification (zaishoku shomeisho)
- Copy of flight itinerary
- Copy of U.S. Green card or resident visa of the U.S.
- Release of Liability form (if your visa application is processed by mail)
- Payment of visa fee, if country of citizenship does not have a visa fee exemption. This fee is payable
in exact cash, or U.S. money order, and must be made payable to the Consulate-General of Japan
- A self-addressed return envelope with a prepaid overnight air bill (or Express Mail stamp)
- Visa Fees
The Consulate General of Japan reserves the right to request additional documents if deemed necessary.
Applications by mail
If your visa application is processed through the mail, enclose a self-addressed envelope and sufficient postage stamps for Certified, Priority, Registered or Express Mail for return. If you would like to use FedEx or UPS, enclose a prepaid mailing label or completed air waybill and an envelope for return. Please include a Release of Liability Form. The Consulate-General of Japan is not responsible for your passport in case of its loss when sending through the mailing service for return.
Documents will not be returned (Except for your passport). Please retain copies of all documents you submit for records.
We will not make copies, if you need original documents, please make a copy.
Visa fees are determined according to reciprocal arrangements between Japan and the country of the applicant's nationality. Click here for Visa Fees.
The time to process an application for a Temporary Visitor Visa depends on the applicant's circumstances. Please allow at least three business days, to have your application reviewed. No expedited service for visas. There are some cases; however, in which a few weeks or more are needed to process an application.
Consulate General of Japan
1801 West End Avenue, Suite 900
Nashville, TN 37203
Office hours for Visas
9:00 AM - 12:30PM and 1:30PM - 5:00PM
Please submit your visa application before we close the window at 4:00pm.
Phone: 615-340-4300 Ext.151 / Fax: 615-340-4312