Transite Visit



Required Documents

  1. Applicant's valid passport, properly signed by bearer.
  2. VISA APPLICATION FORM TO ENTER JAPAN (available here), completely filled out and signed by the applicant.
  3. One photograph (2" x 2") attached to application form
  4. A confirmed reservation record of your round-trip flight to/from Japan. An e-ticket or print-out from a travel agency, airline or travel website is acceptable. The print-out should include:
    -Your name.
    -Your confirmation number/record locator.
    -Your airlines, flights and all departure and destination cities.
    -Your complete round-trip flight itinerary, starting and ending in the US. This should include all of the countries you are visiting other than Japan, if applicable.
    *Please note: We do not require the purchase of tickets, but we do require a confirmed reservation. We are not responsible for tickets which may be unusable due to the delay or denial of a visa.

    For those with non-revenue ticket holders:
    a) Actual Non-Revenue ticket (original plus copy of all pages), plus a printed entire flight information from the airline company
    b) A copy of the employee ID of the airline employee who obtained the flight coupon, or a letter from the airline proving the employee works for the airline, and that the applicant is authorized to use the non-revenue ticket
  5. Employment Verification letter from the airline company, explicitly authorizing the applicant to use the ticket.
  6. Visa for the next destination (if required) to be visited after Japan must already be in the passport at the time of application.
  7. If stay in Japan exceeds one night: Proof of sufficient funds (e.g. most recent U.S. bank statement, travelers' checks or letter of guarantee from friend/relative in Japan)
  8. Copy of U.S. "green card" or re-entry visa to the U.S. must be presented if applicant has an intention to return to the United States. Students on a F-1 U.S. visa must present endorsed I-20 form. Exchange Visitor on J-1 visa must submit endorsed DS-2019(IAP-66) form. (clear copy acceptable)
    Please note that in principle the Consulate General of Japan in Nashville does NOT accept an application from B-1 and B-2 U.S. visa holders. Those holders need to return to their home country in order to apply for a visa to enter Japan.
  9. Release of Liability form  (if your visa application is processed by mail)
  10. A self-addressed return envelope with a prepaid overnight air bill (or Express Mail stamp)
  11. Visa Fees

The Consulate General of Japan reserves the right to request additional documents if deemed necessary. 

Applications by mail  
If your visa application is processed through the mail, enclose a self-addressed envelope and sufficient postage stamps for Certified, Priority, Registered or Express Mail for return. If you would like to use FedEx or UPS, enclose a prepaid mailing label or completed air waybill and an envelope for return. Please include a Release of Liability Form. The Consulate-General of Japan is not responsible for your passport in case of its loss when sending through the mailing service for return.


Documents will not be returned (Except for your passport). Please retain copies of all documents you submit for records.
We will not make copies, if you need original documents, please make a copy.


Visa Fees
Visa fees are determined according to reciprocal arrangements between Japan and the country of the applicant's nationality. Click here for Visa Fees.


Processing Time
The time to process an application for a Visa depends on the applicant's circumstances. Please allow at least three business days, to have your application reviewed. No expedited service for visas. There are some cases; however, in which a few weeks or more are needed to process an application.



Visa Section:
Consulate General of Japan
1801 West End Avenue, Suite 900
Nashville, TN 37203 

 Office hours for Visas

9:00 AM - 12:30PM and 1:30PM - 5:00PM 
Monday - Friday except holidays  

Please submit your visa application before we close the window at 4:00pm.
Phone: 615-340-4300 Ext.151 / Fax: 615-340-4312