This page is for person(s) who transits in Japan.
- U.S. citizens or foreign nationals of Visa Exemption countries are not required to obtain a visa for transit purpose (See "the list of visa exemption countries and regions").
- Please contact your airline(s) whether you go through the Customs and Immigration area at the transferring airport; If yes, you most likely need a transit visa, if not, you do not need a transit visa.
- The Consulate General of Japan may require you to obtain a short-term visa instead of a transit visa depending on your purpose to visit Japan. Not including business, academic or visiting relatives/
acquaintances purposes. It is not permitted to perform activities to undertake revenue generating business
operation or activities to receive remuneration.(You MUST apply for a short-term visit visa if you visit your family or friends in Japan even if your stay is within 24 hours.
|1||Visa Application Form|
with at least 1.5 blank pages left
|3||One 2”x 2” Photo
must be taken in front of a plain background and within the past 6 months
Please note: The Consulate general of Japan does NOT accept any applications from B-1 and B-2 U.S. visa holders.
|5||Proof of Residency
e.g., Driver’s license card, State ID card, or Utility Bill
Your plans during the trip that include dates, main activities, activity locations, and your accommodations. (Form)
|7||Tentative Flight Itinerary
- In general, it takes 5 business days to issue a visa. (ex., If you apply on Monday, you can pick up a visa next Monday. Our holidays are not counted as "business days.")
- It may take more than one month depending on the visa. We recommend that you apply for a visa approximately 1.5 months before your departure date. We do NOT have expedited services.
We are not accepting walk-in visits at this time.
If you need to apply for visa to enter Japan, you must call us to schedule an appointment.
We DO NOT take appointments by email.
Please call us at the following number.
(615) 340-4300 (Mon- Fri 9:00am-12:30pm, 01:30-05:00pm (except holidays)
Apply by Mail
- US citizens are exempt from visa fees. (Some countries are also exempt from visa fees. Please check the Visa Fee Exempt countries list to find out if your visa fee is waived. )
- Payment is due at the time of PICK-UP.
- We accept CASH only (Please prepare cash in the exact amount). We DO NOT accept personal checks and credit cards.
|Type of Visa||Fees|
|Single Entry Visa||$22|
|Double and Multiple Entry Visa||$44|
|Transit Visa (Including Double-Entry Transit)||$5|
|Indian Passport Holder||Single, Double, and Multiple Entry Visa||$6|
|Extension of Re-entry Permit*
(Only available for “Re-entry Permit” not for “Special Re-entry Permit”)