Visiting Japan / Visa



The Consulate-General of Japan in Nashville is accepting applications for visas from those persons who need a visa to enter Japan from our jurisdiction, which includes Arkansas, Louisiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee. We strongly suggest that you send your application by an overnight carrier such as FedEx, UPS, or Express Mail.

 The Visa Section of the Consulate General of Japan in Nashville takes care of the issuance of visas to foreign nationals who wish to enter Japan. Whether you need to obtain a visa in order to enter Japan differs according to the purpose of visit, length of your stay, your nationality, etc. So please read the following instructions carefully to determine if you need a visa.

Dear travelers to Japan: It is recommended to take out an overseas travel insurance

  •  An overseas travel insurance makes you feel secure, even in emergencies, and you can enjoy your trip.
  •  Medical expenses can be very high in Japan. If the travel insurance you purchased offers sufficient coverage of treatment costs, you can receive treatment without concern.
  •  It is recommended to have an overseas travel insurance with travel support for hospital referrals, medical interpretation, and cashless medical service.

Be aware of traffic rules in Japan (please click)

Visa exemption
If you will be traveling to Japan for less than 90 days, you may not need a visa. Click here to see if you qualify to enter Japan under a visa exemption agreement.

If you are planning to work, study, or otherwise reside in Japan for more than 90 days, a visa is necessary. Click here for a Certificate of Eligibility.


Processing Time

The time to process an application for a Visa depends on the applicant's circumstances. In most cases, it takes 3-4 working days to review if the documentation is in order. There are some cases; however, in which a few weeks or more are needed to process an application.

* Please note that some visa applications require consultation with our headquarters in Tokyo and may take up to one month to issue.

a) In person:
Please submit all of the requested documents together at the visa window during office hours.
9:00 AM - 12:00PM and 1:30PM - 4:30PM 
Monday - Friday except holidays  

b) By mail:
Applicants who wish to apply by mail should send their documents to:

Attn: Visa Section
Consulate General of Japan in Nashville
1801 West End Avenue Suite 900,
Nashville TN 37203

If your visa application is processed through the mail, enclose a self-addressed envelope and sufficient postage stamps for Certified, Priority, Registered or Express Mail for return. If you would like to use FedEx or UPS, enclose a prepaid mailing label or completed air waybill and an envelope for return. Please include a Release of Liability Form. The Consulate-General of Japan is not responsible for your passport in case of its loss, damage, delay when sending through the mailing service for return.
Documents will not be returned (Except for your passport and COE). Please retain copies of all documents you submit for records.
We will not make copies, if you need original documents, please make a copy.

Visa Fees
Visa fees are determined according to reciprocal arrangements between Japan and the country of the applicant's nationality. Click here for Visa Fees.

Be aware of fraudulent website, social media, emails in an attempt to extract payments from visa applicants.


A Japanese visa will be issued to an applicant, when he/she meets all of the following requirements and if the issuance is considered to be appropriate.

  • The applicant possesses a valid passport and is entitled to re-entry to a country of his/her nationality or a country of his/her residence.
  • All submitted documents are authentic, completed and satisfactory.
  • The activities to be engaged in Japan/the civil status or the position of the applicant/the period of stay meet the requirements for the status of residence and the period of stay stipulated in the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act. (Cabinet Order No.319 of 1951. hereinafter referred to as the “Immigration Control Act”)
  • The applicant does not fall under any of the items of Article 5, Paragraph 1 of the Immigration Control Act.

Visa Validity

  • In general, a visa is only valid for one entry. A visa is valid for 3 months from the day of issuance. Therefore, entry into Japan should occur within this time frame.
  • A Multiple entry visa is valid for 1 to 5 years. Mulitiple entry visas can be issued to citizens of countries that Japan has bilateral agreements with and to visitors with business purposes.
  • A Double-Entry Transit visa is valid for 4 months and can be used twice (once on the way to your destination and once on the return trip) to complete a round trip.


           (business, Conference/Seminar Participation, visit relatives/friends within 90 days)



highly skilled foreign professionals

When you are contemplating a visit to Japan, you need to make sure whether you need a visa. Whether you need to obtain a visa in order to enter Japan differs according to the purpose of your visit, length of your stay and your nationality, etc. If, after reading the following information, you have questions or determine that you need a visa, please feel free to contact us.


What is a Certificate of Eligibility?
A Certificate of Eligibility is issued before a visa application by a regional immigration authority under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Justice as evidence that the foreign national meets the conditions for landing in Japan, including the requirements that the activity in which the foreign national wishes to engage in Japan at the time of the landing examination is not fraudulent and is an activity that comes under a status of residence (excluding Temporary Visitor Status) stipulated in the Immigration Control Act. (Application by a proxy in Japan is allowed. For details go to the Ministry of Justice, Immigration Bureau. )

A foreign national in possession of a Certificate of Eligibility can get a visa issued more easily at an embassy or consulate within the standard processing period (four working days). (However, issuance of the visa is not guaranteed.) Furthermore, there is the advantage that if the certificate is shown to the immigration officer at the time of the landing application the foreign national can more easily demonstrate that their status of residence conforms to the conditions for landing in Japan such as control, etc.The Certificate of Eligibility is issued by the Immigration Bureau in Japan for the person who is going to work study or live in Japan. The Immigration Bureau will not issue the Certificate of Eligibility to person who is going to Japan for temporary visit or transit. Validity of the Certificate of Eligibility is 3 months from date of issue. Therefore, please be aware that you must obtain the Japan visa and enter Japan within 3 month from date of issue of the Certificate of Eligibility. If you have any questions about the requirements, processing time, etc of the Certificate of Eligibility, please inquire to your proxy or Immigration Bureau in Japan.


Visa applications should be made at the Japanese embassy or consulate with jurisdiction over applicant's current address. Consulate General of Japan in Nashville covers Arkansan, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Visa Section at 615-340-4300 or visit Visa Window which opens Monday through Friday except holidays, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. You may also send a request for visa information by email at

We can only respond to questions regarding visas at this address. The information that will be needed from you is:

1.       Your nationality
2.       Your visa status in the United States
3.       Detailed purpose of your trip to Japan
4.       Your intended length of stay in Japan
5.       Your occupation
6.       Your current place of residence & telephone number



Due to the large volume of inquires by email, we are not able to respond to all of them. If you do not hear from us, please call us to obtain information. Thank you.


Visa Section:
Consulate General of Japan
1801 West End Avenue, Suite 900
Nashville, TN 37203 

 Office hours for Visas

9:00 AM - 12:30PM and 1:30PM - 5:00PM 
Monday - Friday except holidays  

Please submit your visa application before we close the window at 4:00pm.
Phone: 615-340-4300 /  Fax: 615-340-4312 

JAPAN VISA INFORMATION HOTLINE24 hours/7 days a week. English only

TEL 1-888-671-4583

* If you are calling from the U.S., you will be charged a domestic call fee for your call.

* This Hotline can only answer general questions regarding visas.

* The Hotline will not connect you to the Consulate Visa Office. If you need to contact the Consulate in regards to a pending visa application, please contact the Consulate directly at 615-340-4300 during office hours.